Subject: Re: Git Reference Manual enhance

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 10:39:39 -0800

Hi Fredi,

Fredi Fowler wrote:

> Is there any way to create pull request to git man (https://git-scm.com/docs)?
>
> I found there some inconsistencies. For example, almost in all pages
> are using [no-], but at https://git-scm.com/docs/git-merge each
> command (with [no-] or without) write separately.
>
> There are some same inconsistencies that a easy to fix. So, if I can
> sent a pull-request for such fix – inform me.

Welcome!  Yes, feel free to make improvements to the manual.  First,
you'll want to clone the repo:

 git clone https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/git/git

Then make changes.  You can test using "make":

 make -C Documentation git-merge.html
 open Documentation/git-merges.html

Once you're happy with the patch, it's time to send it out for review.
The Git project uses a decentralized review process using email.  See
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/SubmittingPatches.html
for details about how it works.

If you are used to the GitHub pull request process, you may enjoy
GitGitGadget, which acts as a sort of bridge.  See [1] for
instructions.  Please do also keep in mind the hints from
SubmittingPatches e.g.  about how to describe your changes and how to
certify your work.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing your contributions,
Jonathan

[1] https://github.com/gitgitgadget/gitgitgadget/blob/master/README.md#a-bot-to-serve-as-glue-between-github-pull-requests-and-the-git-mailing-list