Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] index-pack: improve performance on NFS

From: Geert Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:58:01 +0000

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 02:43:52PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> As noted in
> https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/ and
> https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/ I think
> it's regardless of Jeff's optimization is. O(nothing) is always faster
> than O(something), particularly (as explained in that E-Mail) on NFS.
> 
> You didn't answer my question in
> https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/ about
> whether for your purposes you're interested in this for something where
> it needs to work out of the box on some random Amazon's customer's
> "git", or if it's something in-house and you just don't want to turn off
> collision checking. That would be useful to know.

The reason I started this thread is to optimize performance for AWS customers
that run git on EFS. Therefore, my preference is that git would be fast out of
the box on NFS/EFS but without having to disable collision checking
unconditionally (disabling it for empty repos is fine as that's a no-op
anyway).