Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] ieot: default to not writing IEOT section

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:09:56 -0800

Hi again,

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Then removing the message is throwing it with bathwater.  First
> think about which part of the message is confusiong and then make it
> less confusing.
>
> How about
>
> 	hint: ignoring an optional IEOT extension
>
> to make it clear that it is totally harmless?
>
> With that, we can add advise.unknownIndexExtension=false to turn all
> of them off with a single switch.

After having slept on it, this doesn't seem like a good fit for the
advice subsystem.  The advice subsystem provides hints about suggested
actions for new users to understand what to do about a condition.  In
this example, the message is not suggesting a particular user action
--- instead, it's describing state, which would seem to be a better
fit for tracing, as in the patch 3/3 I sent.

Am I understanding correclty?  Can you give an example of when a user
would *want* to see this message and what they would do in response?

Thanks,
Jonathan