Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] ieot: default to not writing IEOT section

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:05:39 -0800

Hi,

Ben Peart wrote:

> There is no way to get multi-threaded reads and NOT get the scary message
> with older versions of git.  Multi-threaded reads require the IEOT extension
> to be written into the index and the existence of the IEOT extension in the
> index will always generate the scary warning.

This is where I think we differ.  I want my local copy of Git to get
multi-threaded reads as long as IEOT happens to be there, even if I am
not ready to write IEOT myself yet.

I understand that this differs from what you would prefer, so I'd like
to find some compromise that makes us both happy.  I've tried to
suggest one:

   Make explicitly setting index.threads=true imply
   index.recordOffsetTable=true.  That way, the default behavior is the
   behavior I prefer, and a client can simply set index.threads=true to
   get the behavior I think you are describing preferring.

My preference is instead what I sent in patch 2/3 (for simplicity,
especially since the default of index.recordOffsetTable=false would be
only temporary), but this would work okay for me.

I'll send this as a patch.  If there is a reason it won't work for
you, I would be very happy to learn more about why.

Thanks,
Jonathan