Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 3/3] test-lib: add the '--stress' option to run a test repeatedly under load

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 11:34:54 +0100

Just a quick reply to this one point for now:

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 12:44:09AM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 05:34:57PM +0100, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> > +	job_nr=0
> > +	while test $job_nr -lt "$job_count"
> > +	do
> > +		wait
> > +		job_nr=$(($job_nr + 1))
> > +	done
> 
> Do we need to loop? Calling "wait" with no arguments should wait for all
> children.

It should, but in dash, ksh, ksh93, Bash v4.2 or older it doesn't seem
to do so, at least not on my machine, and I get back my shell prompt
right after hitting ctrl-C or the first failed test, and then get the
progress output from the remaining jobs later.

Bash 4.3 or later are strange: I get back the shell prompt immediately
after ctrl-C as well, so it doesn't appear to be waiting for all
remaining jobs to finish either, but! I don't get any of the progress
output from those jobs to mess up my next command.

And mksh and zsh can't run our tests, and I don't have any more shells
at hand to try.