Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/1] add author and committer configuration settings

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:46:51 -0800

Hi,

William Hubbs wrote:

> this is my first patch for git, so please be gentle. ;-)

Thanks for contributing!

> I am in a situation where I need to use different authorship information
> for some repositories I commit to.
>
> Git already supports setting different authorship and committer
> information with environment variables, but this setting is global so if
> you want to change it per repository you need to use a separate tool.
>
> This patch adds support to git config for author.email, author.name,
> committer.email and committer.name  settings so this information
> can be set per repository. It applies to current master.

The above information (except for "It applies to current master") is
very useful to have when looking back at the change in history.  When
sending the next version of this patch in response to others'
comments, can you replace the commit message with something like it?

In other words, it is very useful for the commit message to include
this kind of information about the "why" behind a change, beyond the
"what" that the patch itself already provides.

> Thanks much for your reviews, and I would like to publically thank dscho
> from #git-devel for assisting me in preparing this patch.
>
> Also, since I use a screen reader, it would be very helpful if you put
> your comments in your replies as close to the affected code as possible,
> preferably directly below it.

Fortunately, this is already common practice here, but the reminder is
very welcome.

By the way, if you have other feedback about Git accessibility through
a screen reader (both the project and the tool), I would be very
interested to hear.  Presumably in a new thread. :)

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan