Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 8/8] tests: mark tests broken under GIT_TEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION=2

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 09:10:58 -0800

Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26 2018, Junio C Hamano wrote:

>> Hmph.  The other overzealous thing you could do is to strenthen A
>> and "fix" the security issue in v2?  Which letter comes before A in
>> the alphabet? ;-)

Yes, agreed.  This is what I was hinting at in [1] with "it's a plain
bug".

> Sure, but that being useful is predicated on this supposed security
> mechanism being useful and not just security-through-obscurity, as noted
> in side-threads I don't think we have a convincing argument either way
> (and the one we do have is more on the "it's not secure" side).
>
> Of course we had that with v1 all along, but now that v2 is in released
> versions and in this insecure mode, we have a reason to closely look at
> whether we need to be issuing security releases, or doubling down on the
> "SECURITY" wording in git-fetch and then not carrying the mode forward.

Just for the record, as I've already said, I would be strongly against
removing this feature.  I know of multiple populations that make use
of it, and removing it would not serve them well.

Changing defaults and documentation is a separate story.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/