Subject: Re: "IMAP IDLE"-like long-polling "git fetch"

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 06:13:52 +0000

Konstantin Ryabitsev <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 03:56:21AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > Hey all, I just added this to the TODO file for public-inbox[1] but
> > obviously it's intended for git.git (meta@public-inbox cc-ed):
> > 
> > > +* Contribute something like IMAP IDLE for "git fetch".
> > > +  Inboxes (and any git repos) can be kept up-to-date without
> > > +  relying on polling.
> > 
> > I would've thought somebody had done this by now, but I guess
> > it's dependent on a bunch of things (TLS layer nowadays, maybe
> > HTTP/2), so git-daemon support alone wouldn't cut it...
> 
> Polling is not all bad, especially for large repository collections. I'm
> not sure you want to "idle" individual repositories when there's
> thousands of them. We ended up writing grokmirror for replicating
> repo collections using manifest files.

I wasn't intending it for giant sites like korg, but for
individual hackers on their workstations tracking a handful of
projects they follow.

The cost for a hackers' machine would be the same as the current
situation where developers idle on IRC channels for the projects
they're involved in.

> > Anyways, until this is implemented, feel free to continue
> > hammering a way on https://public-inbox.org/git/ with frequent
> > "git fetch".  I write C10K servers in my sleep -_-
> 
> The archive is also mirrored at
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/public-inbox/vger.kernel.org/git.git, and
> also on kernel.googlesource.com.

Now, I'm wondering if you can make a v2 public-inbox mirror of
git@vger and run it on lore.  Converting public-inbox.org/git to
v2 would break things for everybody fetching, right now :<