Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] Accept error packets in any context

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 17:43:48 -0800

Hi,

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Masaya Suzuki <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This makes it possible for servers to send an error message back to clients in
>> an arbitrary situation.

Yay!  Yes, this should simplify server implementations and user support.

[...]
> In short, are you shooting js/smart-http-detect-remote-error topic
> down and replacing it with this one?
>
> As that topic is not yet in 'next', I am perfectly fine doing that.
> I just want to make sure that is what you meant, as my reading of
> [4] was a bit fuzzy.

Josh, looking at that branch, I see:

 remote-curl: die on server-side errors

	Includes a test illustrating error handling in the ref
	advertisement.  Should that be revived as a standalone patch,
	without the remote-curl.c change?

 remote-curl: tighten "version 2" check for smart-http

	A bug fix.  We had an analogous bug in the .googlesource.com
	servers and it was problematic when experimenting with
	protocol changes using placeholder version numbers YYYYmmdd
	(since that starts with a "2").

 remote-curl: refactor smart-http discovery

	A nice cleanup.

Thanks,
Jonathan