Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] compat/obstack: fix -Wcast-function-type warnings

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:13:11 -0800

Hi,

SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 07:51:18PM +0100, SZEDER Gábor wrote:

>> As to re-importing obstack.{c,h} from upstream, we've made some
>> portability fixes to these files, and neither of the commit messages
>> of those fixes mention that they are backports from upstream.  OTOH,
>> one of those commits mentions platforms like
>> "i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1, SunOS 5.10", which makes
>> me suspect that the re-import will be susceptible to those portability
>> issues again.  Therefore, I think re-importing these files from
>> upstream is beyond the scope of this patch series (and might not be
>> the right thing at all).
>
> gnulib's obstack.{c,h} doesn't fix the issues that we've fixed in
> 3254310863 (obstack.c: Fix some sparse warnings, 2011-09-11) and
> d190a0875f (obstack: Fix portability issues, 2011-08-28).  So if we
> were to re-import from gnulib, then these two patches would have to be
> applied on top yet again.

Thanks for looking into it.  The former looks applicable to upstream,
while the latter appears to do some Git-specific things (e.g. relying
on git-compat-util.h).

Mind if I send the former upstream?  I believe gnulib upstream relies
on copyright assignment, so it would help if you have a copyright
assignment for the project on file, but if not, they may consider it a
small enough change to take without.

Thanks,
Jonathan