Subject: [PATCH v2 2/5] .gitignore: ignore external debug symbols from GCC on macOS

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 02:29:10 +0100

When Git is build with a "real" GCC on macOS [1], or at least with GCC
installed via Homebrew, and CFLAGS includes the '-g' option (and our
default CFLAGS does), then by default GCC writes the debug symbols
into external files under '<binary>.dSYM/' directories (e.g.
'git-daemon.dSYM/', 'git.dSYM/', etc.).

Update '.gitignore' to ignore these directories, so they don't clutter
the output of 'git status'.  Furthermore, these build artifacts then
won't trigger build failures on Travis CI via b92cb86ea1 (travis-ci:
check that all build artifacts are .gitignore-d, 2017-12-31) once one
of the following patches updates our CI build scripts to use a real
GCC in the 'osx-gcc' build job.

[1] On macOS the default '/usr/bin/gcc' executable is not a real GCC,
    but merely a compatibility wrapper around Clang:

      $ gcc --version
      Configured with: --prefix=<...>
      Apple LLVM version 9.0.0 (clang-900.0.39.2)
      <...>

    So even though 'make CC=gcc' does indeed execute a command called
    'gcc', in the end Git will be built with Clang all the same.

Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
---
 .gitignore | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/.gitignore b/.gitignore
index 0d77ea5894..a9db568712 100644
--- a/.gitignore
+++ b/.gitignore
@@ -229,3 +229,4 @@
 *.pdb
 /Debug/
 /Release/
+*.dSYM
-- 
2.20.1.499.gf60de1223c