Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 7/8] checkout: introduce --{,no-}overlay option

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 18:26:49 -0800

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I find --ignore-removal fairly easy to understand, and I had no idea
>> what --overlay would mean.
>>
>> I realize this is just one user's experience.
>
> Exactly.  My impression was the exact opposite from yours.
>
> The phrase "removal" in the context of checkout does not click for
> me at all, and neither it does in the context of add, especially
> given that Git tracks states (i.e. snapshots), not changes.

Thanks.  What do you think of --skip-removals (or --skip-deletions)?
The idea is "among the changes that you would be making to the
worktree, skip any unlink() steps".

If that seems sensible, we can use it for "git checkout" and,
optionally, add it as a synonym for --ignore-removal to "git add" as
well.

Jonathan