Subject: Re: [PATCH] travis-ci: make the OSX build jobs' 'brew update' more quiet

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 20:38:23 +0100

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 10:26:29AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >   - This '--quiet' flag apparently broke overnight, resulting in
> >     errored builds:
> > ...
> >     I belive that this breakage will be noticed and fixed soon-ish, so
> >     we could probably just wait a bit for this issue to solve itself,
> 
> Yuck.  Well, an external influence that can break the automated
> build job overnight should be capable of fixing it overnight ;-)

> If this is truly urgent, I could merge this to 'maint' and merge the
> result upwards to 'pu' and it would hide the issue on my four
> integration branches.  But one thing that makes me wonder is if we
> can (or want to) do anything to help other people who test build
> with pull requests.  I guess they need to rebase on top of whatever
> commit that has this fix?  That sounds more like a tail wagging a
> dog, though.  I dunno.

Contributors don't have to rebase to make their PR builds work.  When
Travis CI builds a PR, it doesn't build the branch on its own, but the
merge of that branch into 'master' (or whatever the default branch is
called), assuming can be it merged cleanly.  So as soon as this fix
lands in master, the PR builds should be fine.  I suppose.

However, they will need to rebase their WIP/not PR-ed/not upstreamable
branches on top of this fix if they want to run Travis CI builds in
their own forks.

Unless, of course, the external influence does manage to fix itself
overnight :)  Under Dscho's bugreport it looks like they already
merged a one-liner fix, but how long will it take to tickle down to
Travis CI, I have no idea.