Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] doc-diff: don't `cd_to_toplevel`

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 01:58:52 +0100

On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 03:45:02PM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
> Fair enough. As an alternative, do you know offhand if there's an easy
> machine-readable way to get the CI results? If I could poll it with curl
> and generate my own notifications, that would be fine for me.

Well, what do you mean by "CI results"?  Getting whether a build
succeeded, failed, still running, etc.?  Sure.  Getting which
particular test script (semantic patch, documentation...) caused the
build failure?  Nope. [1]

Travis CI has a REST API (note that you have to sign in with GitHub
account to view its docs, and then need an access token to use the
API):

  https://developer.travis-ci.org/gettingstarted

They also offer a command line client for this API:

  https://github.com/travis-ci/travis.rb

Depending on what you want that in itself might already be enough for
you.  It wasn't for me, as I have a very particular idea about how I
prefer to view my CI results, but neither the website nor the CLI
client offer such a compact _and_ detailed view like this:

  ccccccccc 2175  pu
  ccccccccc 2174  sg/ci-parallel-build
  ccccccccc 2173  js/fuzz-commit-graph-update
  ccccccccc 2172  js/mingw-host-cpu
  PsscsPscc 2171  dl/submodule-set-branch
  PPXsPPPPP 2170  kl/pretty-doc-markup-fix
  PPPPPPPPP 2169  en/combined-all-paths

('c' - created, 's' - started, 'P' - passed, 'X' - failed)

Nothing that can't be achived with good screenful of Python/Ruby/etc
scripting... including colors matching the website's color scheme! :)

[1] Although since we include the trash directory of the failed test
    script in the logs, surrounded by clear marker lines containing
    the failed test script's name, it wouldn't be too hard to get it
    programmatically, either.