Subject: [WIP RFC PATCH 7/7] clone: break cloning repos that have symlinks in them

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 01:26:25 +0100

Revert back to the lstat() behavior in the dir_iterator interface
we've had since it was added in 0fe5043dad ("dir_iterator: new API for
iterating over a directory tree", 2016-06-18).

No reflog test depends on it, so it's unclear if it's needed. Since
clone now uses this it changes the longstanding behavior of how we
just so happened to support objects dirs with symlinks in them.

Why? I don't know. Just writing this up as an RFC with tests. Insert
rationale here.

Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
---
 dir-iterator.c             |  2 +-
 t/t5604-clone-reference.sh | 45 +++++++-------------------------------
 2 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 38 deletions(-)

diff --git a/dir-iterator.c b/dir-iterator.c
index 6a9c0c4d08..070a656555 100644
--- a/dir-iterator.c
+++ b/dir-iterator.c
@@ -149,7 +149,7 @@ int dir_iterator_advance(struct dir_iterator *dir_iterator)
 				continue;
 
 			strbuf_addstr(&iter->base.path, de->d_name);
-			if (stat(iter->base.path.buf, &iter->base.st) < 0) {
+			if (lstat(iter->base.path.buf, &iter->base.st) < 0) {
 				if (errno != ENOENT) {
 					if (iter->pedantic)
 						goto error_out;
diff --git a/t/t5604-clone-reference.sh b/t/t5604-clone-reference.sh
index f1a8e74c44..a4cd12643e 100755
--- a/t/t5604-clone-reference.sh
+++ b/t/t5604-clone-reference.sh
@@ -249,45 +249,16 @@ test_expect_success SHA1,SYMLINKS 'setup repo with manually symlinked objects/*'
 '
 
 test_expect_success SHA1,SYMLINKS 'clone repo with manually symlinked objects/*' '
-	for option in --local --no-hardlinks --shared --dissociate
+	for option in --local --no-hardlinks --dissociate
 	do
-		git clone $option S S$option || return 1 &&
-		git -C S$option fsck || return 1
+		test_must_fail git clone $option S S$option 2>err || return 1 &&
+		test_i18ngrep "the remote end hung up" err || return 1
 	done &&
-	find S-* -type l | sort >actual &&
-	cat >expected <<-EOF &&
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/22/3b7836fb19fdf64ba2d3cd6173c6a283141f78
-	S--local/.git/objects/22/3b7836fb19fdf64ba2d3cd6173c6a283141f78
-	EOF
-	test_cmp expected actual &&
-	find S-* -name "*some*" | sort >actual &&
-	cat >expected <<-EOF &&
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir/.some-dot-file
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir/some-file
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/.some-hidden-file
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/some-dir
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/some-dir/.some-dot-file
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/some-dir/some-file
-	S--dissociate/.git/objects/some-file
-	S--local/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir
-	S--local/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir/.some-dot-file
-	S--local/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir/some-file
-	S--local/.git/objects/.some-hidden-file
-	S--local/.git/objects/some-dir
-	S--local/.git/objects/some-dir/.some-dot-file
-	S--local/.git/objects/some-dir/some-file
-	S--local/.git/objects/some-file
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir/.some-dot-file
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/.some-hidden-dir/some-file
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/.some-hidden-file
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/some-dir
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/some-dir/.some-dot-file
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/some-dir/some-file
-	S--no-hardlinks/.git/objects/some-file
-	EOF
-	test_cmp expected actual
+	git clone --shared S S--shared &&
+	find S--shared -type l | sort >actual &&
+	test_must_be_empty actual &&
+	find S--shared -name "*some*" | sort >actual &&
+	test_must_be_empty actual
 '
 
 test_done
-- 
2.21.0.rc2.1.g2d5e20a900.dirty