Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit-tree: utilize parse-options api

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 13:36:50 +0100

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:49:53PM +0700, Duy Nguyen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 6:37 PM SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:07:42PM +0700, Duy Nguyen wrote:
> > > > It was discovered that the --no-gpg-sign option was documented
> > > > but not implemented in 55ca3f99, and the existing implementation
> > >
> > > Most people refer to a commit with this format
> > >
> > > 55ca3f99ae (commit-tree: add and document --no-gpg-sign - 2013-12-13)
> >
> > No, most often we use
> >
> >   55ca3f99ae (commit-tree: add and document --no-gpg-sign, 2013-12-13)
> >
> > i.e. with a comma instead of a dash between subject and short date;
> > and without quotes around the subject.
> >
> > Truly sorry for nitpicking :)
> 
> Naah it's about time I update my ~/.gitconfig to be "conformant" :D I
> think we both failed to mention where to find the command for Brandon
> though: search commit-reference in SubmittingPatches.

Well, yes...  but I didn't mention that on purpose: SubmittingPatches
advocates for quotes around the subject, which is still the less often
used format of the two, and there is no good reason for those quotes
(that 'deadbeef (' before and ', 2019-12-34)' after the subject
provide plenty of separation and indicate quite clearly what's going
on).

However, looking at the length of the suggested command in
SubmittingPatches made me remember that I've been using a couple of
patches implementing 'git log --format=reference' for a couple of
years now...  I wonder whether it would be worth having something like
that in git.git, and thus making it conveniently available for other
projects as well.