Subject: Re: Can't build first git commit

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 14:25:59 -0800

Hi,

Fabio Aiuto wrote:

> What a pity, It would have been very useful for me, to debug around
> that simple version, to understand how everithing works.

Jeff King suggested how you can update the build command to get it
working.  In general, I think people sometimes overthink what is
involved in a build: something like

	cc *.c

plus appropriate warning, optimization, debug, -D, and library flags
should work just fine.

If you haven't already read it, I also recommend reading
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#hacking-git.
If you have ideas for improving the text there (perhaps with suggested
build instructions?), patches to Documentation/user-manual.txt are
very welcome.

Thanks and happy hacking,
Jonathan