Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 11/14] switch-branch: only allow explicit detached HEAD

From: "Eckhard Maaß" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:32:11 +0100

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:58:46PM +0100, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy wrote:
> +	if (!opts->implicit_detach &&
> +	    !opts->new_branch &&
> +	    !opts->new_branch_force &&
> +	    new_branch_info->name &&
> +	    !new_branch_info->path)
> +		die(_("a branch is expected, got %s"), new_branch_info->name);

Wouldn't it be nice to give more context here, for example the symbolic
reference that the name actually points to? When expereimenting with the
feature and trying to switch to a tag, it refuses with
"a branch is expected, got v1.2.0". I personally would prefer something
more like "a branch is expected, got v1.2.0 that resolved to
refs/tags/v1.2.0", so I get "oh, yeah, that is actually a tag ...". Does
this seem worthwhile to dig deeper into? A quick glance left me a bit
puzzled, I admit.

Greetings,
Eckhard