Subject: Re: Strange annotated tag issue

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 19:36:45 -0400

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:43:52AM -0700, Bryan Turner wrote:

> > I don't think I've ever seen a tag-to-a-tag in the wild, but I wouldn't
> > be surprised if somebody has found a use for it. For example, because
> > tags can be signed, I can make a signature of your signature, showing a
> > cryptographic chain of custody.
> 
> For a while the Atlassian Bamboo team followed a workflow where they
> would do a build in CI, tag that build and then deploy it to a sandbox
> environment for smoke testing. If it passed the smoke tests, it would
> get "promoted" from the sandbox environment to internal instances used
> by the various teams to do their builds. When a sandbox build was
> "promoted", they'd create a tag of the sandbox build's tag to have
> traceability between the two environments.
> 
> I'm not advocating for or judging that workflow one way or another,
> and the Bamboo team has since moved on to a different workflow. I just
> thought I'd share it as a tag-of-tag workflow that I've seen a real
> team using. (There was one place in Bitbucket Server's code where we
> didn't handle recursive tags correctly, so their workflow caused some
> errors that I needed to make some adjustments for. As a result,
> Bitbucket Server's test suite now includes tests that cover tag-of-tag
> behaviors.)

Thanks, I always like hearing these kinds of data points. If nothing
else, it's a good reminder that if Git has behaved some way for many
years, then _somebody_ is likely to have taken advantage of it, whether
we considered it a possibility or not. :)

-Peff