Subject: Re: [GSoC] microporject test_path_is_*

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 11:49:35 +0100

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 11:09:18AM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> > There are likewise several that use one of
> >    ! test -e path/to/filename
> > or
> >    ! test -f path/to/filename
> > or
> >   test ! -f path/to/filename
> > which could be replaced by
> >   test_path_is_missing path/to/filename
> 
> Interesting that for some we use the 'test_is_there/test_is_not_there'
> pattern and for others 'test_is_there [!]'. E.g
> test_path_exist/test_path_is_missing v.s. test_i18ngrep.

It's unclear what the '!' should negate in case of 'test_path_is_file
! file'.  What if 'file' does exists, but it's not a file but a
directory, socket, fifo, or symlink?  'test ! -f file' returns success
in these cases as well.

OTOH, it's quite clear what the negation should mean in case of
'test_i18ngrep'.