Subject: [PATCH v3 0/2] tag: advise on recursive tagging

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 11:25:12 -0700

[ Sorry for the spam, I typoed the mailing list address the first time ]

Hi all,

I've been following the discussion and the tl;dr of it seems to be this:
Junio wants to keep the long-standing behaviour of being able to git tag
anything while Robert seems to believe that for most users, it is a
mistake and even though Git is able unpeel tags, other tool authors may
not be aware that this is even possible and not handle the case.

I've tried to compromise between both sides. Now, we keep the old
behaviour but instead of silently ignoring nested tags, we print out a
hint that the user can act on. Hopefully, this should address everyone's
concerns.

The added benefit is that this won't break any existing scripts' unless
they are parsing stderr for whatever reason, but no one would do that,
right? ;)

Denton Liu (2):
  tag: fix formatting
  tag: advise on nested tags

 Documentation/config/advice.txt |  2 ++
 advice.c                        |  2 ++
 advice.h                        |  1 +
 builtin/tag.c                   | 23 +++++++++++++++++------
 t/t7004-tag.sh                  | 11 +++++++++++
 5 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

-- 
2.21.0.843.gd0ae0373aa