Subject: [PATCH v4 3/4] progress: clear previous progress update dynamically

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 21:45:14 +0200

When the progress bar includes throughput, its length can shorten as
the unit of display changes from KiB to MiB.  To cover up remnants of
the previous progress bar when such a change of units happens we
always print three spaces at the end of the progress bar.

Alas, covering only three characters is not quite enough: when both
the total and the throughput happen to change units from KiB to MiB in
the same update, then the progress bar's length is shortened by four
characters (or maybe even more!):

  Receiving objects:  25% (2901/11603), 772.01 KiB | 733.00 KiB/s
  Receiving objects:  27% (3133/11603), 1.43 MiB | 1.16 MiB/s   s

and a stray 's' is left behind.

So instead of hard-coding the three characters to cover, let's compare
the length of the current progress bar with the previous one, and
cover up as many characters as needed.

Sure, it would be much simpler to just print more spaces at the end of
the progress bar, but this approach is more future-proof, and it won't
print extra spaces when none are needed, notably when the progress bar
doesn't show throughput and thus never shrinks.

Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
---
 progress.c | 11 +++++++----
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/progress.c b/progress.c
index 564845a36b..949a2a576d 100644
--- a/progress.c
+++ b/progress.c
@@ -84,6 +84,7 @@ static void display(struct progress *progress, uint64_t n, const char *done)
 	const char *tp;
 	struct strbuf *counters_sb = &progress->counters_sb;
 	int show_update = 0;
+	int last_count_len = counters_sb->len;
 
 	if (progress->delay && (!progress_update || --progress->delay))
 		return;
@@ -110,10 +111,12 @@ static void display(struct progress *progress, uint64_t n, const char *done)
 
 	if (show_update) {
 		if (is_foreground_fd(fileno(stderr)) || done) {
-			const char *eol = done ? done : "   \r";
-
-			fprintf(stderr, "%s: %s%s", progress->title,
-				counters_sb->buf, eol);
+			const char *eol = done ? done : "\r";
+			size_t clear_len = counters_sb->len < last_count_len ?
+					last_count_len - counters_sb->len + 1 :
+					0;
+			fprintf(stderr, "%s: %s%*s", progress->title,
+				counters_sb->buf, (int) clear_len, eol);
 			fflush(stderr);
 		}
 		progress_update = 0;
-- 
2.21.0.746.gd74f1657d3