Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/2] documentation: add tutorial for first contribution

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 11:58:07 -0700

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 12:46:47PM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > +=== Clone the Git Repository
> > +
> > +Git is mirrored in a number of locations. Clone the repository from one of them;
> > +https://git-scm.com/downloads suggests one of the best places to clone from is
> > +the official mirror on GitHub.
> 
> I didn't want to have to get into fine-grained wordsmithing (let
> alone bikeshedding) this late in the iteration of the topic, but
> "the official mirror" is not something anybody suggested in the
> recent reviews (JTan's rephrasing, which I already said that I am OK
> with, said something like "one of the many mirrors").

I should have waited longer on sending this round of patch out; as it
stands I sent the patch with this fix a few hours before your response
to JTan came out. Sorry for the confusion.

> And "official" is a phrase I have trouble with in this context.  A
> mirror does not have to be blessed as official; that's the point of
> a mirror---anybody can make one to help users with better
> connectivity or availability, as long as its users trust the mirror
> maintainer for mirror's correctness and freshness.

You're right and I'll remove it. However, I've seen at least one
instance of confusion over Git's lack of an "official" mirror (over on
#git on Freenode). I'd like to rephrase this to explain the reasoning
behind having multiple mirrors, none of which are official.

To that end, I propose replacing the phrase with "one of the best places
to clone from is this mirror on GitHub." followed by the clone command
to git/git, then followed by:

	NOTE: As Git is a distributed version control, the Git project also
	follows a distributed model. There is no central official mirror; any
	mirror which you can reasonably trust is being kept correct and fresh to
	the Git source distributed by the Git maintainer is fine to work from.

What do we think?

Alternatively, if the desire is to just be done with it, I have no
problem with Junio rewording however he feels is best and otherwise
applying this patch - if there is value in reducing the churn on the
mailing list for this patch.

> So perhaps "... clone from is the mirror maintained by GitHub folks"
> or just simply "is the mirror on GitHub"?
> 
> > +$ git send-email --to=[email-masked]
> > +		 --in-reply-to="<[email-masked]>"
> 
> Very nice attention to the detail here.  I like it (the earlier
> round did not have dq around the message ID).
> 
> > +		 psuh/v2*
> > +----
> 
> All other edits relative to the previous round look very sensible to
> me.  Thanks.