Subject: Re: Revision walking, commit dates, slop

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 19:00:09 -0700

SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 09:54:12AM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:

>> There are established corner cases, where in a repo where commit dates
>> are not monotonically increasing,
[...]
> All the above is without commit-graph, I presume?  If so, then you
> should give it a try, as it might bring immediate help in your
> pathological repo.  With 5k commit in the same second (enforced via
> 'export GIT_COMMITTER_DATE=$(date); for i in {1..5000} ...') I get:

Just to emphasize this point: one field in the commit-graph file is a
generation number (or more generally, a "reachability index" in the
standard jargon).  The reason I'm excited about having this field is
that it will allow us to stop playing games with slop.

So please join forces with Stolee and help us get to that future
sooner. :)

Thanks,
Jonathan