Subject: Re: [PATCH] send-email: remove documented requirement for Net::SMTP::SSL

From: Todd Zullinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 21:56:22 -0400

Hi,

Sorry I missed your earlier reply which also mentioned using
$obj->can() Ævar.  That's what I get for typing a reply and
then walking away for a few hours before hitting send. ;)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> Same, but to bikeshed a bit, at this point we can just do:
>     
>     diff --git a/git-send-email.perl b/git-send-email.perl
>     index 24859a7bc3..4ad2091a49 100755
>     --- a/git-send-email.perl
>     +++ b/git-send-email.perl
>     @@ -1468 +1467,0 @@ sub send_message {
>     -               my $use_net_smtp_ssl = version->parse($Net::SMTP::VERSION) < version->parse("2.34");
>     @@ -1485 +1484 @@ sub send_message {
>     -                       if ($use_net_smtp_ssl) {
>     +                       if (Net::SMTP->can('starttls')) {
>     @@ -1507 +1506 @@ sub send_message {
>     -                               if ($use_net_smtp_ssl) {
>     +                               if (Net::SMTP->can('starttls')) {
> 

I think we'd need to use 'if ! ...' there, or more likely,
switch the blocks which follow because the code following
'if ($use_net_smtp_ssl)' is for Net::SMTP::SSL with the
'else' block handling the case where Net::SMTP has ssl/tls
support.  Right?

I know I read the $use_net_smtp_ssl bit backwards the first
time or two as well.

-- 
Todd