Subject: Re: [PATCH] revision: remove stray whitespace when name empty

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:37:45 -0700

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 09:29:14AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Your patch only helps with this at all because you're using the "tree:1"
> > ...
> > because there you'll have actual names which cat-file will choke on. So
> > it seems like this is helping only a very limited use case.
> > ...
> > Alternatively, it would be reasonable to me to have an option for
> > "rev-list --objects" to have an option to suppress the filename (and
> > space) entirely.
> 
> Yup, I think that is a more reasonable short-term change compared to
> the patch being discussed, and ...

I like this too. Starting work on it today.

> 
> > I think in the longer run along those lines that "--objects" should
> > allow cat-file style pretty-print formats, which would eliminate the
> > need to pipe to cat-file in the first place. That makes this parsing
> > problem go away entirely, and it's way more efficient to boot (rev-list
> > already knows the types!).
> 
> ... of course this makes tons of sense.

Probably not going to start work on this now, but I will make a note to
myself to have a look if I have some spare time soon, and keep an eye
out for reviews in that area.

> Thanks.

Thanks all for the feedback, I'll have a reroll soon.

 - Emily