Subject: Re: [PATCH v4] rev-list: teach --no-object-names to enable piping

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 12:31:34 -0700

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 07:08:14AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Since v3, added a corresponding "--object-names" arg to pair with
> > "--no-object-names", and "last-one-wins" logic. Also added a test to
> > validate this new arg and the logic.
> 
> Thanks for a quick turnaround (unfortunately, I was OOO yesterday
> and I am half-sick today, so please expect slow responses---sorry
> about that).
> 
> > In adding the test, I noticed that I had left in a test about --oid-only
> > that doesn't apply after the changes from v2->v3; that test is removed.
> 
> I noticed in range-diff, too.  So now --object-names can be used
> with --pretty (not that "rev-list --pretty --objects" makes much
> sense in the first place, so no point in testing that it works).

Yeah, it works. It looks weird, but it works pretty much as you'd
expect:

emilyshaffer@podkayne:~/git-second [stray-whitespace]$ tg2 rev-list
--object-names --objects --pretty=short --max-count=1 HEAD | head -n 20
commit 701c66d5f2fafe163892fa0968ce8bca041dbc92
Author: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>

    rev-list: teach --no-object-names to enable piping

    d4b1d372d16aaff35b221afce017f90542fd9293 
    41d4cd23fd97f599053a19555a173894da71e560 .clang-format
    42cdc4bbfb05934bb9c3ed2fe0e0d45212c32d7a .editorconfig

emilyshaffer@podkayne:~/git-second [stray-whitespace]$ tg2 rev-list
--no-object-names --objects --pretty=short --max-count=1 HEAD | head -n
20
commit 701c66d5f2fafe163892fa0968ce8bca041dbc92
Author: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>

    rev-list: teach --no-object-names to enable piping

    d4b1d372d16aaff35b221afce017f90542fd9293
    41d4cd23fd97f599053a19555a173894da71e560
    42cdc4bbfb05934bb9c3ed2fe0e0d45212c32d7a

Ah, but when I was grabbing these samples, I noticed that I didn't
update the manpage for rev-list. So please wait while I reroll again...
sorry!

 - Emily