Subject: TLS on news.public-inbox.org [was: may be unstable]

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 19:03:51 +0000

Eric Wong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hopefully I didn't break anything, stress testing some stuff
> and my own Internet connection is intermittent :<

STARTTLS is now available on port 119, and NNTPS on 563.
I think it works... :x

No idea if it's actually secure or not; but it might help
get around firewalls or traffic filtering.

I'm using Let's Encrypt and IO::Socket::SSL defaults for
SSL_server=1.  This is with the libiosocket-ssl-ssl-perl 2.044-1
package in Debian stable (9.x),

Anyways there's a boatload of changes and size reductions aimed
at C10K+ parallelism starting at:
https://public-inbox.org/meta/[email-masked]/
But OpenSSL/IO::Socket::SSL overhead remains disappointing,
even with SSL_MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS :<

HTTPS work hasn't started, yet (but I figure most folks are
using nginx + varnish); and there's other bugs and stuff
I'd need to look at...