Subject: Re: Why is part of push origin output written to stderr?

From: Kevin Daudt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 18:26:58 +0200

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:27:20AM -0700, Thomas Hruska wrote:
> As seen from a basic 'git push origin master' where the last part of the
> output of a successful push origin is sent to stderr instead of stdout:
> 
> To host:user/something.git
>    1f57f4a..1a96eab  master -> master
> 
> I don't usually think of a successful push as being a fatal error but I
> could be very wrong.  Maybe git is trying to tell me that pushing is
> actually a mistake.

Although the name implies it's used for error output, some programs also
use stderr to output anything that is separate from the standard output
of a program.

Curl for example show progress information on stderr to not intersperse
it with the normal output of curl.

The same happens here with git. You have the regular output of git push,
but any progress update is writted to stderr.

So stderr is more treated like an additional output stream rather than
only reporting errors to stderr.

Hope this helps, Kevin

> -- 
> Thomas Hruska
> CubicleSoft President
> http://cubiclesoft.com/