Subject: Re: [PATCH 14/14] completion: add default merge strategies

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:14:33 +0200

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 08:11:40PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> > > In case the command fails.
> >
> > It is unclear what you wanted to say with this.  What command?
> > After "git merge" fails?
> 
> Yes. The command that __git_list_merge_strategies() uses.
> 
>  % cd /tmp
>  % git merge -s help
> fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)
> Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

If that command behind __git_list_merge_strategies() fails, then 'git
merge -s <TAB>' won't simply list any merge strategies.  However,
that's not a big deal, because the command won't work without a
repository anyway, so I don't see the point in adding a hard-coded
list of merge strategies.  And in this case $__git_merge_strategies
will remain empty, so the next time the user attempts to complete a
strategies while in a repository, then it will Just Work (unlike the
undesired caching of options without a repository that is fixed in
69702523af (completion: do not cache if --git-completion-helper fails,
2019-06-12).