Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] clean: show an error message when the path is too long

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 18:13:51 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 07:04:23AM -0700, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:
> +test_expect_success MINGW 'handle clean & core.longpaths = false nicely' '
> +	git config core.longpaths false &&
> +	test_when_finished git config --unset core.longpaths &&

'test_config core.longpaths false' could replace the above two lines
with a single one.

> +	a50=aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa &&
> +	mkdir -p $a50$a50/$a50$a50/$a50$a50 &&
> +	touch $a50$a50/test.txt &&
> +	touch $a50$a50/$a50$a50/$a50$a50/test.txt &&

Is there a reason for using 'touch' to create these files here,
instead of the usual '>"$file"' shell redirections?  Something
Windows/MinGW/long path specific, perhaps?

> +	test_must_fail git clean -xdf 2>.git/err &&

I was puzzled when I saw that '2>.git/err' first, because why put that
file in the .git directory?!  but of course 'git clean' would delete
that file if it were in the worktree.  OK.

> +	grep "too long" .git/err
> +'
> +
>  test_done
> -- 
> gitgitgadget