Subject: git maintainer workflow tools?

From: Matthias Beyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:23:18 +0200

Hello git community,

I write this email because after several attempts over several months of
searching the internet for this, I still fail to find a proper documentation
and/or tools for the workflow. So this is my last resort.

So what I am looking for is tools to automate contributor and maintainer
workflow, especially:

1) Repliying to each emailpatch of a set of patches with
   "Reviewed-by: <user@host>" (or other trailers)

   Szenario: I see a patchset on a mailinglist. I apply this patchset to my
   local copy of the repository, review it and test it.
   I want to send "Reviewed-by" and "Tested-by" trailers for each patch.

2) Applying a set of emails as patches, where "Reviewed-by" and other trailers
   from the tree of emails are automatically included in the commit message when
   applying (how do the kernel people do this? By hand? I don't think so, do
   they?)

   Szenario: I receive a patchset for my project. Contributors have started a
   discussion on PATCH 1/3, fixup commits/squash commits were sent to the mail
   thread. After a bit of discussion, "Reviewed-by"/"Acked-by" trailers were
   sent.  I want to apply the patches, and include all trailers in the commit
   message that were sent for the corrosponding patchmail.

Fwiw, I'm using mutt as an email reader, but of course such tools can or even
should be MUA-agnostic, right?

I know about git-interpret-trailers, but I fail to see how to use them to
automate the process.

Maybe you know scripts/tools that are ready and available for accomplishing
these tasks.

-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,
Matthias Beyer