Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/3] Add a JSON Schema for trace2 events

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 21:38:49 +0200

On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 09:59:13AM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> The exhaustive approach really helps.  Arguing against it kind of
> feels like saying "leak checkers are great, but why run one on the
> full test suite instead of a dedicated tool that exercises the code
> paths where you expect to find leaks?"

Not at all.  We don't run any leak checker on the full test suite as
part of each and every CI build, do we?  And just like no one is
arguing against you running a leak checker on the full test suite, no
one is arguing against you running a JSON schema validation on the
full test suite, either.

> In the short term, we can run tests internally to check that Git keeps
> following the schema.  Let's not block patches 1 and 2 by this ---

To my understanding patch 2 is only a proof of concept: it starts
using a programming language that has not been used before in this
project, to implement functionality that is readily available in
several existing tools, without even arguing (let alone convincingly
arguing) in the commit message why this approach is a good idea.