Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/3] Add a JSON Schema for trace2 events

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 16:25:59 -0700

SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 09:59:13AM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> In the short term, we can run tests internally to check that Git keeps
>> following the schema.  Let's not block patches 1 and 2 by this ---
>
> To my understanding patch 2 is only a proof of concept: it starts
> using a programming language that has not been used before in this
> project, to implement functionality that is readily available in
> several existing tools, without even arguing (let alone convincingly
> arguing) in the commit message why this approach is a good idea.

Well, Golang has been used in contrib/ before. ;-)

If I understand [1] and [2] correctly, we haven't found an existing
standalone tool that is able to efficiently validate a high volume of
traces.  But for the purpose of sanity-checking that running a few
typical commands generates a trace that fits the schema, it's not
important that the validator be super fast.  So we can use a tool like
jq, picking one using the criteria that it

- allows performing the validation without too much fuss
- is likely to already be present on some developers' machines

Thanks,
Jonathan

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/