Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Port git to Plan 9

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 13:22:33 -0700

Hi,

Kyohei Kadota wrote:

> I think it is possible to replace rc with ape/sh, ape/sh is POSIX
> shell in Plan 9.
>
> However Plan 9 don't have recent versions of Unix tools,
> such as gcc, g++, autotools, gmake or perl,
> so it is VERY hard to use Makefile instead of mkfile.

The default Git build doesn't use autotools.  See INSTALL for more
details.

What version of gmake is available for Plan 9?  I wouldn't expect
Git's build system to be super demanding as far as recent "make"
features go.

So I wonder whether it would make sense to do something like the
following:

- add entries to config.mak.uname to set the compiler e.g. to 6c
  when appropriate

- make appropriate compatibility fixes in git-compat-util.h

- add any necessary helpers to the compat/ directory

- use gmake to build

Would that work?

Thanks,
Jonathan