Subject: Re: [PATCH] test-lib-functions: show the test name at the start of verbose output

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 12:12:37 +0200

On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 09:14:46PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sat, 3 Aug 2019, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> 
> > So the dummy test above would start like this:
> >
> >   expecting success of 'commit works':
> >           echo content >file &&
> >   [...]
> 
> Maybe it would make sense to also mention the test and test case number,
> like so?
> 
> 	expecting success of t9876.54 'it works':

It's easy enough to do so, but I don't readily see any benefits.

The '--verbose-log' of each test script is written to a separate
file, whose name already contains the test number, so there is no use
including it for each test case in there.  When running a test script
and looking at its '--verbose' output, then surely all test numbers
must be from that particular test script, so there is no use, either.

As for the test case number, since the test cases are not numbered in
the test scripts, I just ignore them right away, and look for test
names anyway.

Could you give an example?