Subject: RFC - Git Developer Blog

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 18:49:35 -0700

Hi all,

In backchannels recently there has been some discussion about the idea
of a Git-project-blessed blog written by Git contributors, generally
covering usability tips or overviews of the internals of Git which the
general public tend to find confusing.

Ideally, we could use a channel like this to make Git better understood
in the rest of the world, in a less formal setting than the man pages or
gittutorial. I think it would be valuable to have resources which have
been reviewed and endorsed by the Git contributor community, in addition
to individual company blogs. (It might even make sense for contributors
who would normally post this kind of thing to their company blog to
cross-post the content in both places.)

Are folks interested in writing and reviewing this kind of content? Any
ideas for where we may be able to host (maybe git-scm)? It could make
sense to review contributions like this on the mailing list, so that we
get the attention of those who wrote the features that are being covered
in the blog posts - are we okay with the additional traffic?

Some example topics, from the top of my head:

 - Using `git worktree` Effectively
 - Overview of the Git Object Store
 - Finding Regressions with `git bisect`
 - Life of a Git Remote Request

The idea is that we could cover high level topics stringing together
multiple components or giving power user advice, which we can't really
do with the manpages.

Thoughts?

 - Emily