Subject: Re: RFC - Git Developer Blog

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:07:05 -0700

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 09:27:30AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 06:59:21AM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
> 
> > When Git Rev News was started I thought that there could be such a
> > group effort to encourage each other to publish articles in it, but I
> > must say that outside the group of editors (currently Jakub, Markus,
> > Gabriel and me) it hasn't happened much.
> > 
> > Each month though there are a small number of people helping on
> > smaller things like short news, typos, releases, etc. And people who
> > are interviewed are doing a great job when they accept to be
> > interviewed.
> > 
> > Maybe it's also not clear that we could accept other kind of articles
> > than just articles focused on what happens on the mailing list. I
> > think we have generally tried to highlight articles by Git developers
> > that were published on their blogs or their company's blog though.

Wow, I definitely didn't realize that was an option - I have a couple of
Git-centric personal blog posts I probably would have sent along. Oops.

> 
> I think the audience may be a bit different for Rev News versus a blog.
> I'd expect the blog to be written for people who use Git, and want to
> learn how to use new features, or maybe broaden their understanding of
> it. Rev News seems a lot more technical to me, and mostly of interest to
> people who are part of the development community.

I wonder, though, whether it helps enforce the ephemeral nature of blog
posts like this: "Here is an interesting topic, which is valid as of
2.whatever, and we probably aren't going to come back and update this at
3.0 release."  (At least, that's the kind of maintenance I'd prefer to
do for this kind of blog. :) )

> 
> Which isn't to say those two things can't co-exist on a site[1] or a
> blog. But I think there needs to be some way for people to subscribe to
> one but not the other. Because I suspect that too many posts about the
> development process would drive away users who would be interested in
> the less-technical posts.

That's a good point, and one I wouldn't have considered since I don't
use RSS to subscribe to things anymore :) It seems reasonable, to me, to
roll up all this stuff under git-scm domain - because it wasn't clear to
me that git-scm existed primarily to host Pro Git. I thought it was "the
official Git website" until only very recently. Perhaps I didn't read
well enough. :)

There does seem like a reasonable case to have a separation between Pro
Git, Rev News, and this blog thing.

> 
> -Peff
> 
> [1] By the way, Rev News lives over at git.github.io, but there's no
>     reason it couldn't be integrated (from the user's perspective) with
>     the git-scm.org site.
> 
>     I wouldn't want it in the same repo for technical reasons, but it
>     could be revnews.git-scm.com or similar (and possibly styled in a
>     similar way).
> 
>     If you're happy with it separate, I have no objections. I just
>     wanted to make it clear it's an option.