Subject: Re: RFC - Git Developer Blog

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 13:00:52 -0400

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 09:27:30AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 06:59:21AM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
>
> > When Git Rev News was started I thought that there could be such a
> > group effort to encourage each other to publish articles in it, but I
> > must say that outside the group of editors (currently Jakub, Markus,
> > Gabriel and me) it hasn't happened much.
> >
> > Each month though there are a small number of people helping on
> > smaller things like short news, typos, releases, etc. And people who
> > are interviewed are doing a great job when they accept to be
> > interviewed.
> >
> > Maybe it's also not clear that we could accept other kind of articles
> > than just articles focused on what happens on the mailing list. I
> > think we have generally tried to highlight articles by Git developers
> > that were published on their blogs or their company's blog though.
>
> I think the audience may be a bit different for Rev News versus a blog.
> I'd expect the blog to be written for people who use Git, and want to
> learn how to use new features, or maybe broaden their understanding of
> it. Rev News seems a lot more technical to me, and mostly of interest to
> people who are part of the development community.

Yeah, I agree and share the view that the audience between the two is
definitely different, at least if I'm understanding the purpose of this
new proposal correctly.

I quite enjoy reading Rev News, because it does a great job at
summarizing all of the on-list development. So, if I haven't had enough
time to stay up-to-date on it myself, I know that Rev News has.

But, I'm not sure that it holds the same interest for folks who don't
participate in development. Perhaps there are some willing spectators
who might be curious about what's going on, but I get the general sense
that the majority of Git users would be primarily interested in news
other than what's currently on Rev News.

> Which isn't to say those two things can't co-exist on a site[1] or a
> blog. But I think there needs to be some way for people to subscribe to
> one but not the other. Because I suspect that too many posts about the
> development process would drive away users who would be interested in
> the less-technical posts.

This is an interesting idea. I don't really have a strong preference
either way whether a new blog be grafted onto the existing Rev News
site, but I do think that the two should be separate.

> -Peff
>
> [1] By the way, Rev News lives over at git.github.io, but there's no
>     reason it couldn't be integrated (from the user's perspective) with
>     the git-scm.org site.
>
>     I wouldn't want it in the same repo for technical reasons, but it
>     could be revnews.git-scm.com or similar (and possibly styled in a
>     similar way).
>
>     If you're happy with it separate, I have no objections. I just
>     wanted to make it clear it's an option.

Thanks,
Taylor