Subject: Re: RFC - Git Developer Blog

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 13:44:57 -0400

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 10:15:43AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >> It would also be helpful to have a post for every major release
> >> highlighting new features and giving users examples of how to use them.
> >> Taylor has been writing these on the GitHub blog [1], but maybe he
> >> would be interested in writing them for this new venue?
> >>
> >> [1] https://github.blog/2019-06-07-highlights-from-git-2-22/
> >
> > Yes, I generally try and publish a blog post once-per-release, and
> > generally with the following two goals in mind:
> >
> >   - talk about and publicize some of the new features in the latest
> >     release (or releases, if I've missed a blog post or two)
> >
> >   - share some interesting tidbits about existing features.
> >
> > I think it would be good to have these blog posts in both places, should
> > this proposal materialize. I would have to ask about whether or not
> > GitHub would be comfortable about cross-posting to a new venue, and I'd
> > be happy to raise the question when it comes up.
>
> Yeah, I find these blog postings at GitHub quite helpful.  Thanks
> for writing them.

Thanks for maintaining the release notes. I often start there to figure
out what to write about, and having them so well organized makes my job
a lot easier.

> I wonder if a semi-automated republication (ala "Planet"), instead
> of cross-posting, is an option that is easier to manage, though.

Probably. I don't know how Planet works, but if it can accept an RSS
feed (and doesn't require too much on GitHub's end), it's probably
sensible.

Thanks,
Taylor