Subject: Re: [PATCH] bugreport: add tool to generate debugging info

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 12:08:10 -0700

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 09:41:41AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I think comparing this habit to the .gitignore isn't quite fair -
> > .gitignore tells me I forgot to add my new command binary to it, when I
> > run `git status` to see what I need to add to my commit with new
> > command.
> 
> That is why I said that we need to actively work on, if we care
> about getting quality reports.
> 
> I do not think it is unreasonable to expect the build procedure for
> "git bugreport" to involve scanning in Documentation/config/ to pick
> up variable names, annotated in such a way that is invisible to
> AsciiDoc to allow us tell which ones are sensitive and which ones
> are not.  A test in t/ could even check if a documented
> configuration variable has such an annotation.  A commit that adds
> configuration variables without documentiong them does exist, but
> variables without documentation are (1) bugs, and (2) are not worth
> serious engineering effort on until they get documented.

Interesting. I think I have an idea for a way to do this, but it ends up
fairly large; I'll send proof of concept as a follow-on patch to this
one. Thanks for the suggestions.

 - Emily