Subject: Re: v2.22.1 and later regression wrt display of progress indicators

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 18:40:32 +0200

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 12:29:08PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 06:07:02PM +0200, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> > I noticed this today when pushing to GitHub (I suppose they have very
> > recently upgraded?) from Linux, so this is neither specific to 'git
> > pull' nor to macOS.
> > 
> > I'm sure the culprits are commits cd1096b282 (pager: add a helper
> > function to clear the last line in the terminal, 2019-06-24) and
> > 5b12e3123b (progress: use term_clear_line(), 2019-06-24) with the
> > added complication of communicating with a remote.
> 
> Yes, we moved to v2.22.1 last night. I'll revert those commits on our
> servers until we come up with a more permanent solution upstream.

I think it's sufficient to revert only 5b12e3123b (progress: use
term_clear_line(), 2019-06-24).  I only mentioned cd1096b282 here
because it better explains the reasons for having term_clear_line(),
and an other patch depends on that function as well.

Or you can simply revert the whole series, of course :)

> One interesting bit: we have traditionally used \033[K on the _client_
> side of the sideband demuxer. So I think in the "remote:" case we were
> already handling this correctly, even before your patch.

Gah, I feared that the term "sideband multiplexer" will soon come up
in this discussion...