Subject: Re: [BUG] You can't have single quote in your username

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 12:15:08 +0200

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 11:35:48AM +0200, Giuseppe Crinò wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 10:29 AM SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > If we go down this route, then someone might want to write ő as o" or
> > ű as u", which still supposed to be used in pairs, but what if someone
> > wants to write ä as a:, ö as o:, ü as u:, ç as "c,", ş as "s,", etc.
> 
> I don't know any language that uses ő or ű so I can't tell but it's
> definitely possible.

The Hungarian alphabet has both, and I've seen them written like this
on old typewritten documents.  But that was decades ago, nowadays
they are either written properly as ő and ű, or without any accent at
all (banks...).

> In my country, sometimes the last name ends with
> an accented letter (mine ends with an "o grave") and people end up use
> a single quote to avoid pissing off computers. That's standard thing.
> 
> In my current team I don't know enough of the setup of my colleagues
> (they may use CP1252) and that ò may be badly decoded.