Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci: install P4 from package to fix build error

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 12:58:25 +0200

On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 12:27:11PM +0200, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> To test 'git-p4' in the Linux Clang and GCC build jobs we used to
> install the 'p4' and 'p4d' binaries by directly downloading those
> binaries from a Perforce filehost.  This has worked just fine ever
> since we started using Travis CI [1], but during the last day or so
> that filehost appeared to be gone: while its hostname still resolves,
> the host doesn't seem to reply to any download request, it doesn't
> even refuse the connection, and eventually our build jobs time out
> [2].
> 
> Now, this might be just a temporary glitch, but I'm afraid that it
> isn't.

Well, now would you believe it, while I was testing this patch (I even
made a gitgitgadget PR to run it on Azure Pipelines! :) and touching
up its log message the good old Perforce filehost sprang back to life,
and the CI build jobs now succeed again even without this patch.

> Let's install P4 from the package repository, because this approach
> seems to be simpler and more future proof.
> 
> Note that we used to install an old P4 version (2016.2) in the Linux
> build jobs, but with this change we'll install the most recent version
> available in the Perforce package repository (currently 2019.1).

So I'm not quite sure whether we really want this patch.  It depends
on how important it is to test 'git-p4' with an old P4 version, but I
don't really have an opinion on that.