Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/1] for-each-ref: Add '--no-symbolic' option

From: Eric Freese <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 15:36:45 -0600

Hi,

I was recently using git-for-each-ref in a script to get a list of
remote refs that pointed at a particular commit so that they could
automatically be updated and pushed back to that remote. This fails when
it comes across refs/remotes/origin/HEAD, which is a symbolic link.

I was able to solve the problem with:

```
git for-each-ref ... --format="%(refname) %(symref)" | grep " $"
```

But that feels a little clumsy to me. I would have expected there to be
a flag like `--no-symbolic` that would exclude symbolic refs from the
output. So I went ahead and added it :)

I could forsee this option also being added to git-branch and git-tag,
but decided to keep it to git-for-each-ref to test the waters before
investing any further time into it.

Cheers

Eric Freese (1):
  for-each-ref: add '--no-symbolic' option

 Documentation/git-for-each-ref.txt | 3 +++
 builtin/for-each-ref.c             | 4 +++-
 ref-filter.c                       | 4 ++++
 ref-filter.h                       | 3 ++-
 t/t6302-for-each-ref-filter.sh     | 6 ++++++
 5 files changed, 18 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

-- 
2.23.0