Subject: Re: Git in Outreachy December 2019?

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 16:51:49 -0400

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 01:03:17PM -0700, Jonathan Tan wrote:

> > Do we have interested mentors for the next round of Outreachy?
> > 
> > The deadline for Git to apply to the program is September 5th. The
> > deadline for mentors to have submitted project descriptions is September
> > 24th. Intern applications would start on October 1st.
> > 
> > If there are mentors who want to participate, I can handle the project
> > application and can start asking around for funding.
> 
> I probably should have replied earlier, but if Git has applied to the
> program, feel free to include me as a mentor.

Great!  See my followup here:

  https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Prospective mentors need to sign up on that site, and should propose a
project they'd be willing to mentor.

> There was a discussion about mentors/co-mentors possibly working in a
> part of a codebase that they are not familiar with [1] - firstly, I
> think that's possible and even likely for most of us. :-) If any
> question arises, maybe it would be sufficient for the mentors to just
> help formulate the question (or pose the question themselves) to the
> mailing list. If "[Outreachy]" appears in the subject, I'll make it a
> higher priority for myself to answer those.

I do think it's OK for mentors to not be intimately familiar with the
part of the code that is being touched, as long as the project is simple
enough that they can pick up the technical details easily as-needed. A
lot of what mentors will help mentees with is the overall process (both
Git-specific parts, but also more general development issues). But I
think the proposed projects do need to be feasible.

I'm happy to discuss possible projects if anybody has an idea but isn't
sure how to develop it into a proposal.

-Peff