Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/15] name-rev: eliminate recursion

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:37:44 +0200

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 11:37:12AM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 9/19/2019 5:46 PM, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> > 'git name-rev' is implemented using a recursive algorithm, and,
> > consequently, it can segfault in deep histories (e.g. WebKit), and
> > thanks to a test case demonstrating this limitation every test run
> > results in a dmesg entry logging the segfaulting git process.
> > 
> > This patch series eliminates the recursion.
> 
> A noble goal! Recursion into commit history is much easier to get
> stack overflows than when we recurse into the directory hierarchy.
> 
> > Patches 1-5 and 14-15 are while-at-it cleanups I noticed on the way,
> > and patch 6 improves test coverage.
> 
> These cleanups are nice, and I think I followed them pretty closely.
>  
> > Patches 7-11 are preparatory refactorings that are supposed to make
> > this series easier to follow, and make patch 12, the one finally
> > eliminating the recursion, somewhat shorter, and even much shorter
> > when viewed with '--ignore-all-space'.  Patch 13 cleans up after those
> > preparatory steps.
> 
> I responded to several of these, mostly with questions and not actual
> recommendations. I do want to apply your patches locally so I can try
> this --ignore-all-space trick to really be sure patch 12 is doing the
> right thing.

  git fetch https://github.com/szeder/git name-rev-no-recursion

(But this is sort of a v1.1, as it already includes René's suggestion
for patch 3.)