Subject: Re: Git in Outreachy December 2019?

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:47:01 -0700

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:04:48AM -0700, Jonathan Tan wrote:
> > Prospective mentors need to sign up on that site, and should propose a
> > project they'd be willing to mentor.
> 
> [snip]
> 
> > I'm happy to discuss possible projects if anybody has an idea but isn't
> > sure how to develop it into a proposal.
> 
> I'm new to Outreachy and programs like this, so does anyone have an
> opinion on my draft proposal below? It does not have any immediate
> user-facing benefit, but it does have a definite end point.

I'd appreciate similar opinion if anybody has it - and I'd also really
feel more comfortable with a co-mentor.

"""
"Did You Mean..?"

There are some situations where it's fairly clear what a user meant to
do, even though they did not do that thing correctly. For example, if a
user runs `git commit` with tracked, modified, unstaged files in their
worktree, but no staged files at all, it's fairly likely that they
simply forgot to add the files they wanted. In this case, the error
message is slightly obtuse:

$ git commit
On branch master
Changes not staged for commit:
	modified:   foo.txt

no changes added to commit

Since we have an idea of what the user _meant_ to do, we can offer
something more like:

$ git commit
On branch master
Changes not staged for commit:
	modified:   foo.txt

Stage listed changes and continue? [Y/n]

While the above case is a good starting place, other similar cases can
be added afterwards if time permits. These helper prompts should be
enabled/disabled via a config option so that people who are used to
their current workflow won't be impacted.
"""

Thanks in advance for feedback.

 - Emily