Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 4/4] Makefile: emulate compile in $(HCO) target better

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 11:41:31 -0400

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 01:21:01AM -0700, Denton Liu wrote:

> Fix these problems by emulating the compile process better, including
> test compiling dummy *.hcc C sources generated from the *.h files and
> passing $(ALL_CFLAGS) into the compiler for the $(HCO) target so that
> these custom flags can be used.
> 
> Helped-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
> ---
> 
> Peff, thanks for the suggestion! I modified it a little bit so that we
> wouldn't have to keep regenerating the *.hcc files unnecessarily.

What you have here looks good. I doubt it matters too much compared to
the cost of the compiler, but having them in their own rule makes it
easier to follow, I think.

> I also considered piping into the compiler's stdin directly which I know
> works for GCC (and _probably_ Clang) but I opted against it because I'm
> not sure it's portable for other compilers. Maybe it's alright for this
> to be less portable since it's a developer target?

Yeah, I'd worry slightly about portability. But it would be nice to
avoid generating more cruft. And I agree that most people running this
would be developers. Maybe it would make sense to float a separate patch
on top (that would make it easy to revert if somebody runs into a
problem).

Thanks for working on this (and the whole series looks good, including
the commit message changes you made regarding the bitmap code).

-Peff