Subject: Re: Fetch origin/HEAD during git fetch

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 19:24:57 -0700

Hi!

Dominik Salvet wrote:

> 1) `git fetch origin && git remote set-head origin -a`
> 2) `git fetch origin +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
> HEAD:refs/remotes/origin/HEAD`
> 3) instead of git init and remote, use directly `git clone --no-checkout`
>
> The first solution is not suitable due its delay caused by remote
> access (2 separate invocations). For smaller repositories, delays of
> these individual commands are almost comparable. However, this
> solution is semantically exactly what I want.

Interesting.

For the specific case, it sounds like some kind of "git fetch
--also-set-head" would do the trick for you.  As you can see, I'm awful
at naming command line options --- aside from the need to give it a
better name, any others thoughts on that?  Would you be interested in
taking a stab at implementing it?

For the more general case, there's been some discussion of fetching
and pushing symrefs on-list before.  [1] discusses one possible UI.

[...]
> The third solution has several problems. The first one is the created
> default local branch. So delete it.

Hm, I don't follow.  Does "git checkout --orphan" do what you're
looking for?

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/